I have never made my own curry paste before as I thought that it might be complex. When I learnt how to make these three curry pastes at my Thai cooking course in Chiang Mai, I realised it is not complex at all, you just need the right ingredients on hand.
When I cook my curries at home I use paste from a jar but now that I know how easy it is to make my own curry paste I am defiantly going to venture into making my own. The flavours are outstanding & so much better than the bought pastes from a jar. In the picture there are three different curry pastes, red, green & panang. I thought that I would share the red curry paste recipe with you first. Note that you will need a mortar to make this recipe.
1/2 cup of red chilli’s cut up
2 stalks of lemon grass
1 teaspoon kaffir lime rind
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon of fresh ginger
1 tablespoon of fresh turmeric
1 tablespoon of fresh shallot
1 teaspoon fresh ginseng
1 tablespoon of coriander seeds
- Put the coriander seeds in the mortar & find them until they turn into powder
- Add the chilli & pound until it gets small & broken down
- When you are pounding the chilli’s be very careful not to get any chilli in your eyes
- Chop up all the other ingredients into small cubes
- Add the remaining ingredients into the mortar
- Pound the entire mixture until the texture is smooth
- Be warned you do need a bit of elbow grease but on the upside you can get your exercise in for the day while cooking!