This cake is so decadent and delicious, one piece will never be enough! My friends Chris and Nic came for dinner before they left to go home to America, so I thought that I needed to make them a dessert that would leave a lasting impression!
The base is made from raw almonds, dates and cacao. The two creamy layers are made with vanilla and cacao cashew cream for a silky, smooth dessert.
I have used pomegranate lots before in salads but never in a dessert. I really enjoyed how it added beautiful colour and texture to this dessert as well as a tangy sweet burst of flavour.
If you have any left over, this dessert will keep really well in the freezer. Just pull in out 15 minutes before serving so that it softens and enjoy!
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cashews, soaked
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- Seeds for ½ pomegranate
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- For Decoration
- 1 punnet fresh raspberries
- ½ pomegranate
- To make the base place the dates and almonds into a blender or food processor and blitz until it resembles a fine crumble.
- Add the desiccated coconut and raw cacao powder, and blitz until the ingredients are combined.
- Add the coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix through. Press the mixture into the base of a spring form cake tin that has been lined with baking paper and place in the freezer.
- To make the two top layers, soak the cashew nuts for a minimum of three hours by covering the cashews with water and setting aside. Drain and rinse once soaked.
- Place 2 cups soaked cashew nuts into a food processor or blender and whiz until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk, coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract.
- Blend until the mixture is very smooth. Depending on your food processor this could take quite some time.
- Remove the base from the freezer and pour one third of the white mixture onto the base. Place back in the freezer to set for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime place the cacao powder into the food processor and blend until combined.
- Remove the cake from the freezer sprinkle the raspberries and pomegranate seeds on the vanilla layer.
- Pour the chocolate cashew cream over the fruit and smooth the top with a spatular.
- Place in the fridge (or freezer to set faster) and allow to set for 1 – 2 hours.
- Decorate with fresh raspberries and pomegranate.
This is actually really easy to make and if you make it in advance you can place it in the freezer and pull out only 45 minutes prior to serving it. You could replace the pomegranate with blueberries or strawberries