ANZAC day is fast approaching. For those of you who no idea what ‘ANZAC’ is, I will explain. ANZAC stands for – Australian New Zealand Army Corps. It is a very important day in both New Zealand & Australia. Anzac day is the a day that we down under, give recognition for the efforts and sacrifices of all of our service men and women. Originally 25 April each year was to honor the members of the Australian & New Zealand Army Corps who fought in Gallipoli & it has evolved to be a day of recognition for all service men and women who have served & died in all wars, conflicts & peace keeping operations.
Anzac day is a public holiday which is a day off work, yay, however it starts for a lot of people at about 5am with a dawn service. At the dawn service we pay respect to our service men & women, the last post is played, wreaths are laid & we sing our national anthem. It is a beautiful community event that is very moving.
Anzac biscuits are traditionally made with rolled oats & golden syrup, here I have adapted the recipe to be paleo & real food friendly. The history of the Anzac Biscuit is that they were sent abroad to the soldiers that were at war by their wives because they kept well despite the distance. My paleo version is very close to the original recipe however made without dairy, gluten, grains or sugar. This recipe makes 9 delicious cookies.
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1 cup dates
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup almond slivers
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons water
- Turn the oven on to 350/180 degrees to heat
- In a food processor place the almond meal, dates & baking soda. Whiz until finely chopped & combined
- In a bowl place the dry mixture, add the coconut, almond slivers, honey & water
- Mix until fully combined & makes a dough like mixture
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Use a teaspoon to place cookie dough on the baking sheet forming 9 balls
- Once all cookies are on the baking tray, press them down with a wet fork
- Place in the oven for approximately 10 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from oven & let cool
- Enjoy this little taste of ANZAC!