These little pies were created because Riley my 10 year old wanted a pie for lunch. I happened to have some mince in the fridge, plus it’s the weekend so I have got all day to potter around, so I suggested to him that we make our own pies.
Together Riley and I came up with a really yummy recipe, which filled the house with the most gorgeous smells! These are really more like mini cottage pie’s, but the kids were happy to accept them as ‘pies’ so who am I to argue! They really enjoyed having their own little dish and I liked the idea of putting the sweet potato on the base as well as the top to encase all of the mince.
These pies are great for kids as well as adults. My kids devoured their pies for lunch and my husband could not wait to get his mits on one either! Happy weekend everyone.
- 500 grams mince
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup beef stock
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 medium kumera or sweet potato
- Turn the oven on to heat at 180 degrees.
- Finely dice the onion, carrot and garlic.
- Place the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic & carrot, sautee for a couple of minutes.
- Add the curry powder, paprika and a sprinkle of salt and combine.
- Add the mince to the saucepan and brown by stirring through for a few minutes.
- Slowly add the stock and let simmer for around 10 minutes until the stock completely reduces down.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and stir through.
- In the mean time, peel the kumera or sweet potato and very finely slice with a mandolin or sharp knife.
- Prepare 6 ramekins by covering the base with sliced sweet potato.
- When the mince is ready, divide between the ramekins and then top with slices of sweet potato.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked.
Other suggestions for toppings are mashed sweet or white potato or sliced potato to top if your kids are opposed to the sweet potato option.