I have been making this Dahl every week and it is too good to not share with you. It is great for dinner, as part of a salad bowl or for breakfast with a egg and avocado. There are so many uses & it tastes amazing!
Once you have it in the fridge, it lasts very well and is so healthy.
There are lots of ingredients but don’t be put off, it’s mostly spices that are all available at the supermarket. Adjust the salt and chilli to your own taste, I like mine to be spicy, but if you or people in your family don’t like spice then don’t add as much.
The ingredients are very basic, but it is full of flavour and is a real comfort food. It is vegan, diary free, gluten free and sugar free.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 6 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 zucchini, finely diced
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 can tomatoes, crushed
- 3 cups water
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- In a large saucepan place the olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic & ginger for a few minutes over a medium heat until the onion goes translucent.
- Add all of the spices & stir through.
- Add the diced tomatoes, zucchini & can tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer, then add the water & lentils.
- Simmer with the lid on for 40 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Season to you taste by adding more salt and chilli if required.
- Top with chopped coriander and fresh chilli