I saw this cute idea on Pintrest & thought that it would be a perfect Easter activity for my three year old & I to do together. It was easy to do & we had fun, however our bunnies did not look quite like the ones on Pintrest! We used sultanas for the eyes & nose, the example I saw used peppercorns which I didn’t think was suitable to eat whole!
Mackenzie showed her skill in placing the ears & whiskers in the right places! I was impressed, it is amazing how clever our little ones really are.
It was cute, Mackenzie held her creation up proudly once she had decorated all the eggs. She didn’t like the celery ears though… sigh!So here is what you will need to do if you want to try this with your kids. This recipe will make 8 bunnies, if you want to make more just add more eggs & more mayo.
1/2 stalk of celery
1 teaspoon of sultana’s
1-2 tablespoon home made mayo
Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil some water in a small pot on the stove. The pot should be about half full
- Once the water is boiling, carefully lower the eggs in to the water with a spoon
- Place the lid on the pot & boil for 5 minutes
- While the eggs are cooking you can prepare the ears & whiskers by cutting up the celery & carrots into small sticks
- Cut some larger sticks for the ears & very small fine sticks for the whiskers. Cut the sultana’s in half
- Once the eggs have boiled, peel them under a running cold tap
- Cut the eggs in half length wise, scoop out the yolks & place in a small mixing bowl
- In the bowl with the yolks add the mayo & salt. Mash until smooth
- Carefully scoop the yolk mixture back into the egg cases by using two teaspoons
- Have fun decorating the cute little bunnies with the prepared eyes, noses, ears & whiskers
- Eat & enjoy!