Now that you can make your own curry paste. I will share with you how to make a panang curry using your own curry paste. This is the recipe that I learnt to make at the Chiang Mai cooking school that I attended & it really was delicious.
If you would like to make a red curry you can use the same recipe as below but just use the red curry paste instead.
Make the red curry paste as per the recipe after all the ingredients are combined in the mortar throw in a handful of peanuts, crush into the paste until smooth & bang you now have a panang curry paste. It is very simple to make a curry & only takes 15 minutes to whip up this amazing dish. This is the panang curry paste that I made.
1 can of coconut milk
250 grams of chicken
2 tablespoons of panang curry paste (if you want more spice add more)
2 tsp palm sugar (if you do not have palm sugar use brown sugar or omit)
1 tablespoon of fish sauce
3 kaffir lime leaves – very finely shredded
2 large red chillies sliced thinly
- Put the 1/4 of a cup of coconut milk in the wok on the stove & boil on a medium heat until oil appears on the surface or for 2-3 minutes
- Add the curry paste & stir until for 1 minute or until it become fragrant
- Add the chicken & cook until the meat turns white
- Add the rest of the coconut milk & bring to the boil
- Add the palm sugar & fish sauce then leave the mixture boiling until it thickens
- Remove from heat once thickened & stir in the finely shredded kaffir lime leaves
- Garnish with the thinly sliced red chillies
- Enjoy over a bed of cabbage