I am really in the mood for Easter, I have been cooking up a storm making a few Easter themed treats. During the Easter break I am going to be away, so I want to be able to take a few healthy treats away. We are going to North Stradbroke Island, which is in the Moreton Bay area of Queensland, I have never been there, so I am really looking forward to it.
For this recipe I adapted my banana and pecan loaf to make this delicious carrot and date loaf and it turned out beautifully.
A funny story about this loaf… for the first time I decided to make a cooking video to demonstrate in person how to make this recipe. I have been wanting to make a video for ages so I thought that I would give it a go this weekend. It is not as easy as it looks, for a start Cameron my husband was laughing so hard that we had to stop, then my daughter was wanting to help me cook, then a visitor showed up, then the neighbor started mowing! Maybe I am just not meant to make a video! Anyway in the end I finished the video, it’s not a work of art by any stretch and I still have to work out how to edit it, but the viewer will get the idea on how to make this carrot and date loaf. When I upload it, I will be sure to let you know.
Anyway I hope that you enjoy this Easter recipe!
- 1 cup ground almonds (almond meal)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ cup dried dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 ripe banana's
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- ½ chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees and prepare a loaf pan lined with baking paper.
- In the food processor place the almond meal, coconut flour, dates, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Process until the mixture is combined and the dates are very fine.
- Place the dry mixture into a large bowl and set aside.
- Now place all of the wet ingredients into the food processor including the eggs, banana's, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Blend in the food processor until smooth and combined.
- Add the carrots and chopped walnuts to the bowl of dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Place the loaf batter in the loaf tin and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.
- Slice the loaf and eat warm straight from the oven or eat it once it has cooled.