I say that it is completely acceptable to have chocolate for breakfast when it is as healthy as this rich cacao chia seed pudding. 🙂 I make this for breakfast when I need a change from my standard veggie omelete. At the supermarket I have spotted chia seed products like chia pods for sale, seriously instead of buying them make your own. Chia puddings are so easy to make, more affordable than pre-made and much better for you.
Everyone raves about chia seeds, that is because it is the richest known plant source of Omega 3, the essential fatty acid (almost 20%) and it is one of the most powerful, functional, and nutritious superfoods in the world! Chia seeds are also rich in dietary fiber, antioxidants, protein, calcium, iron, vitamins and mineral. Chia seeds absorb 17 times their weight, that is why you don’t need many tablespoons of chia seeds to make this recipe. If you have never made chia seed pudding before it may seem a bit strange at first but it really is a great breakfast option so give it a go. Once you know how to make a basic recipe you can add any flavour you like such as berries, vanilla or mango.
Top with any of your favourite fresh berries, shredded coconut or coconut yoghurt.
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of cacao or cocoa (cacao is less processed & better for you)
- 2 tablespoons of cacao nibs
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey (depending on how sweet you like it)
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl & whisk until combined ensuring there are no cacao lumps.
- Pour into little glasses or just set in the bowl that you mix it in.
- Place in the fridge over night or for at least a couple of hours.