Breakfast mushrooms make the perfect side with steak or bacon & eggs, they also make an excellent dish where they are the hero on your plate with a simple poached egg on top. When I am at a cafe for breakfast I often order mushrooms on the side because I don’t eat toast & I have mushrooms instead. Sometimes I get really disappointed with how the mushrooms are cooked, because honestly it is not hard to make killer mushrooms.
I think that this is really simple to make & it’s not really even a recipe but I am starting to realize that not everyone knows how poach an egg, roast a tomato or make killer mushrooms. That is why I thought I would share this little tid bit.
Mushrooms – any variety, button, field, flat, brown (remember that they shrink a lot so use more than you think you need)
2 tablespoons of oil – coconut oil or olive oil – or a blend of both (be ready to splash even more if needed)
2 sprigs of rosemary
Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Thickly slice the mushrooms
- Heat the pan on a medium to hot heat with all of the oil in pan
- Depending on how many mushrooms you are cooking place them all down in the pan in a single layer. Throw the rosemary leaves in the pan with the mushrooms & salt to taste
- Pan fry them until they are brown & caramelized on one side & then turn
- Brown the other side. If you need to add more oil do so, they are very absorbent
- If you have another batch to cook remove the first lot from pan and set aside, repeat
- Place them all back in the pan and let simmer away for a further 5 minute
- I cook them for at least 15 minutes in total, the rosemary will infuse through the mushrooms & they will taste amazing!