I absolutely love anything that has kumera or sweet potato in it! I just think that it makes everything take awesome!
I have made this a few times when we have had people over for brunch. It is the perfect weekend dish because it is really easy to make and everyone loves it, so it ticks two important boxes! It take about 25 minutes to bake in the oven so it is not the type of breakfast that you make when you are in a hurry.
You could add different herbs into the grated sweet potato and change the flavour of it to be more Mexican spiced or Italian flavoured. Experiment, its fun!
I hope that you love this dish as much as I do! Have a beautiful weekend.
- 2 medium sweet potato, grated
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 12 thin slices of ham
- 12 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Snippets of chives
- Turn the oven on to 180 degrees and grease a muffin pan that holds 12 standard size muffins.
- Grate the sweet potato (leave the skin on if you want, I do) and place in a large bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, rosemary, salt and paprika.
- Stir the ingredients until the sweet potato are coated.
- Spoon the grated sweet potato evenly into the muffin pan and press down.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes to bake and brown a little.
- Take the sweet potato cases out of the oven and line each one with a slice of ham.
- Crack an egg into the case and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Place back in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the muffin pans and garnish with chives.
Other tips and ideas:
- Use bacon instead of ham;
- Make a vegetarian version;
- Leave the skin on the sweet potato, it adds flavour and is much easier;
- If you like dairy, add a touch of cheese to the top.