Once cacao is processed into chocolate sadly a lot of the nutrients have been stripped and then sugar is added! Not so healthy anymore!
You should not confuse cacao powder and cocoa powder. Cocoa has been processed using heat and a lot of the nutrients are stripped during that process where as raw cacao is cold pressed without further processing which retains more of the original nutrients of the bean.
Chocolate is from cacao which is a tree, that means it is a plant…..chocolate is salad!
Raw cacao has many health benefits and there are lots of yummy ways to enjoy it!
Benefits of Cacao the super food
- Cacao is full of therapeutic benefits and is considered one of nature’s best medicines.
- Cacao is considered a ‘super-antioxidant’ because it has such a high ORAC score (a measure of antioxidant amounts).
- Raw cacao beans earn a higher ORAC score than spinach, acai berries or blueberries.
- The high antioxidant activity helps protect the heart, prevent cellular damage, and keeps us looking and feeling younger.
- Cacao contains oleic acid, which has been linked to lower cholesterol.
- Raw cacao is also a great source of magnesium, which helps with calcium absorption, metabolism, and protein synthesis.
- Cacao also contains iron, copper, calcium, potassium, and zinc.
Consuming raw cacao nibs or powder is the heart-healthiest way to go; adding milk to chocolate and other additives considerably diminishes the health benefits of cacao. .
Try enjoying a hot cacao drink instead of hot chocolate. Add one teaspoon of cacao to one cup of hot water and ENJOY!
Here are some other ways that you can enjoy cacao: